May 9, 2012

Last week. Post-Grad Plan.

This may be the last blog post I write in this city.

It's been a long five years and the week has finally arrived—graduation and show day. Though I hate this city so much, it's really grown on me, and I believe it's because the people I've formed connections with. Throughout my time here, I've always had a regret, a "if I could change anything before coming here" moment. It was to wish that I went to a fancy art school filled with creativity and ideas seeping from the arm pits of hipsters and bamfs. However, I don't wish that anymore. I don't regret coming to a public university. I don't regret not majoring in business. I don't regret not graduating in four years. I don't regret the ego I may have formed if I went to an art school. The public education and being exposed to an array of individuals is what makes the experience worth-while.

With determination, I worked extra hard to stay top in a pretty rigorous design program here. And it's payed off. During the last couple weeks before classes were over, I started looking and applying for jobs. To be honest, I had no idea where I would want to work or end up, just not here. I've applied to various places in Charleston, Austin, NYC, SF and other places in between. It's funny how connections work. People in the larger cities actually passed my portfolio and work to people. To say the least, I got a job offer. A pretty big job. I'll be a designer at Google, in New York City. It will be a big shift as to what I'm used to but I think it will be a great start to my growth. And I'd figure that I should take the offer when given the chance. I'm excited and nervous, but I'm pretty sure that's normal.

This goes to show you that location means nothing. It's all about how far you're willing to work and go. I mean come on, I'm a designer from Tennessee. I'm proud of myself for my accomplishment. Haters can hate all they want (though I haven't told any of my friends yet). Just know this—don't mistake my humility with weakness.

It's time for a new start. Hello New York. But god—finding an apt is going to be hell.

--

ps- I'm excited for my design show this week.

1 comment: