Jan 19, 2010

Thoughts on Haiti

I'm pretty sure everyone heard the natural disaster that happened to Haiti and my heart goes out to them.

One thing that annoys me though is the massive publicity it has gotten, which is definitely great but there are other things going on that is worth giving attention to. Apparently the earthquake that hit Haiti was the biggest ever in the western hemisphere and thousands of people are suffering due to aftermath.

My point of view is this, people of course react and want to do anything they can to help those devastated but will they still have the same motivation 2 month later? The news and story will be fade back into our memories and we will go on with out daily routines. There are thousands of issues and crisis that are just as big or even greater than this earthquake: like environmental crisis, deforestation in South America, human rights in North Korea, and civil wars & starvation in Africa. Maybe this coming together is a stepping stone to help each other out, maybe this event will change our views on issues going on in the world today, I hope so.

My prayers and thoughts will definetely be with the Haitian people.


photo taken from flickr

Did I make scene? I'm really bad at explaining things.
Maybe I'm just heartless.

2 comments:

  1. its true.

    i dunno, haiti makes me sad rahnow so i dont like to even think about it.

    IM heartless

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, that's the problem with missionaries too. places like new orleans where a natural disaster takes place are problematic because they get so many donations, aid, and publicity during the first few months and now, even though new orleans is still broken, they're not getting any help because all the people that have helped in the beginning think that they have already played their part.

    ReplyDelete