
July 3, 2009 / The day before July 4th
Couple days ago I decided to go out for a drive. The day was quite pleasant outside, although awfully hot, it was relaxing. When I was cruising down the local road, ‘impacilla carpisung’ by The Ting Tings started playing. For a second I thought to myself “What on earth is this and what are they saying?!” since I had no idea what they were articulating on my own CD that I’ve created.
This allowed me reflect to what someone I knew commented on my music taste, and I am quoting this exactly, “You listen to weird music.” Maybe the fact that a snobby ninth grader made this comment, I purely ignored it. I mean come on, I’m an art major and art students are anything but normal.
After that, I questioned myself what is normal? Before writing this blog, I chose to look up the definition of normal.
Normal: \ˈnȯr-məl\ Function: adjective - Etymology: Latin normalis, from norma .
1: (a) according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle (b) conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern
2: occurring naturally
3: (a) of, relating to, or characterized by average intelligence or development (b) free from mental disorder: Sane
Who defines what is normal and abnormal? How does one have the right to critique other’s clothing and say that ‘that is not the style’ or dressing in all black is abnormal? Who can say there is a right way to do makeup? Who says your personality or thought process is not normal? The list definitely can extend for miles and miles, but who sets all these standards? Have you ever wondered that?
I guess it all comes down to society. Pretty sad though isn’t it?
Oh and hey Vincent, I’m surprised you found my super secret blog haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment