
About a month ago I was over at my cousin’s house for a family get together because we and family come in out of state. During the day, while we were just lounge around playing the Wii, the adults decided that it would be fun to play Wii Fit; everyone took their turn to see their weight and how healthy they were.
It was my turn; I stepped on that box to see my status... which came out to be that I was 110lbs, unhealthy, and underweight. Coupled with disgust looks of other's face, I heard a couple laughter in the background. First of all, how the hell is a computer going to tell someone of they are healthy or not? You can't just generalize and say that is the average consensus when there are far more information to consider than one's height and weight. And as for me, I've been skinny all my life; don't you think I've tried gaining weight? It’s not my fault I have such a high metabolism.
Everyone has their opinions and ideal on the "perfect weight", but is there such a thing? This got me thinking to weight issues within the Asian culture. Most westerners’ perceive Asians as being small, petite, skinny, and toned; however they have not experienced the issues on hand. I'm sure if you're an Asian girl, you've always been pressured to stay fit/skinny, because if you don't you will hear from your elders that you need to lose weight (even if you are in shape they think you can benefit without some extra lbs). Same goes for guys, if you're too skinny (in my case) you need to eat more.
You're either too skinny or too fat. What else is new? Just another thing to add to the list of Asian expectations.
Thoughts?
totally agree.
ReplyDeletei mean, iono if you (or i) are really "unhealthy" or not, but it's just interesting that being a skinny asian boy is another stereotype to add to the list.
yup, the skinny, scrawny, weak asian boy. that's why so many asian guys are pressured into going to the gym and getting big.
ReplyDelete